Orft we jolly well go
The work on my jeep started on Saturday March 18th 1978.

The prefabricated hood had been great for the farmer and to be honest didn't look bad, however as it was not an original part of a world war II jeep it had to go. This removal operation was not too difficult but it showed just how bad the body of my jeep was. Years of sheep poo, and never being in a garage for 40 years had taken its toll. The floor was one big hole. This also showed that the structure of the jeep was not very sound above the chassis. Not to be daunted at such an early stage the next task was to get the engine started.

The main stopping block however, to such an operation, was the distinct lack of a distributor cap. This is the "cap" that moves the spark from lead to lead then from spark plus to spark plug, making the engine fire up and run. Without this cap there was never going to be a moving jeep (without us pushing it that is).

The distributor cap would need ordering so the next step was to overhaul the starter motor so as when we have the cap we will have something to generate a spark (to distribute so to speak) Dek Ashley and "Sid" Siddle arrived to help me as my own technical knowledge was limited and Dek was somewhat of a genius in such matters. The rest of day one was spent cleaning years of dirt from the jeeps more sensitive places.

 

 

 

Sunday March 19th I was up with the larks, raring to go. I dismantled the full distributor (that which was cap less) and noted a number stamped on the base.  IGS 1062 - Autolite W068 -?Y. (I will note all such numbers here in case a reader somewhere finds it of interest) (geek!). The Advance mechanism was worn but the points were new. I cleaned the whole unit then sprayed the outside part with red primer. Next to get the "hodge" treatment was the starter motor. It was also in good condition so I cleaned the brushes and sprayed this with red primer (geek note) ( the number GPW 11131-2 - Autolite M7 4113 was stamped on this). Dek, Dave Angles and Dave Ashley came to help and offer advice, usually with a worried shake of the head and a raised eyebrow. Well I did say I was new to all this.

Wednesday 22nd March. I met up with Tom Bowman and he loaned me a distributor cap so we could get my jeep started. He also gave me many tips such as the safe removal of the centre glass windscreen, and an address in Scotland for bar tread tyres.

Thursday 23rd March I visited Norman Taylor of "Jack Taylor" Cycles in Stockton. This man was a Jeep expert. He had owned many excellent examples and had a fully restored engine in his workshop. He showed me where the temperature gauge fits and how to connect it. (this is on the engine drivers side for interest).

He showed me the correct light positions for the twist light lever light unit and gave me a correct gear knob (one of mine was missing). I bought a Gerry can holder from him.

That evening I tried the lights (no response) and checked the gears and clutch using the crank handle (as shown by Norman)

Friday 23rd March - Good Friday Removed the screen, inner screen and put "plus gas" on the bonnet screws as they were locked tight.


 

 

Cigarette improvisation to the coil lead

Saturday 25th March The distributor cap arrived from "Metamet" (sadly no longer trading). Before Dek arrived I removed the bonnet (breaking only one stud in the process). I removed the plugs (Champion NY8) and John my brother in law cleaned them. I numbered all the HT leads and removed the fittings from the right hand mudguard. I replaced the battery and tried the starter - no response.

Dek arrived and I was despatched to get some new HT leads from Kens of Blyth. I had to get yellow as this was the only colour in stock at the time. 

None of the HT leads would fit the top of the coil so a typical Dek improvisation (a cigarette end pushed in to jam the HT lead) and the engine was ready to go. Turned the starter - no response.

Petrol wasn't getting through so Dek stripped the fuel pump to find the diaphragms were reversed, so he sorted that.

The battery was completely dead so we used the crank handle only to find oil poring out. One of the pipes from the oil filter was loose so that was sorted.

We connected a standard 12 volt battery  to the old 6 volt system and a blue petrol can (of the sort you carry petrol in) and turned the starter. To everyone's amazement it started with only a few turns of the starter. Now we had an idea of any mechanical problems (knocks, bangs etc) We drove it up the street to get an idea of the workings (gears etc) and to see what a job was ahead of us. Brakes were poor and it wouldn't run unless the choke was out but otherwise it was generally ok - Now restoration was to start in earnest.

 
 

 

 This page was last updated on 27/04/11

hodgy.net 2001